It's a blog world

Friday, April 13, 2007

Next Skype Exchange and wiki page..........

This week we had no course because it was Easter time!
However, my blog e-tivity goes on.

My last Skype exchange with Nichole was great because we had no topic to talk about.
I was happy because I felt that I was able to talk in English freely without having to follow a list of questions.
My peer had some troubles to express in Italian since she wasn’t supposed to discuss a topic. So, our exchange was mainly in English. Sometimes I tried to speak Italian because it was an exchange that means that both of us had to benefit from it; as a consequence it would be useful for her language knowledge to hear a native speaking Italian. I speak quite well Italian, despite my venetian accent!

I really like Skype, that’s why I decided to install it at home.
I think it should be considered as a social software because it allows students to practise their language. However, considering it like that could be a short-sighted approach because people all over the world use Skype just to communicate with old and new friends: they have no interest in social softwares!

What about wikis?

Now, I feel more confident with wikis.
At the very beginning I was totally scared of destroying my colleagues’ products because I didn’t know how wikis worked; then I get used to log out, to wait in order not to steal lock information and other important tricks.
I succeeded in taming the technology! (I hope:)
Writing wikis is important for plenty of aspects.
  • They teach students how to collaborate.
  • To collaborate means to learn how to respect people’s work and how to modify it without erasing their efforts. The difficulties lie in analyzing a certain topic from different points of view, trying to achieve an exhaustive and complete work.
  • Students learn how to retrieve information and how to quote their sources, avoiding plagiarism and becoming aware of their responsibilities.
  • With wikis students manage to understand the importance of some graphic details such as layout, fonts, headings, etc. All these elements are essential because they can be seen as indicators of the quality of the information conveyed.
  • They allow students to enlarge their vocabulary and their general culture as well.
  • They allow students to compare American behaviours to Italian ones, developing their cultural competences.
  • Working both on blogs and wikis highlights the differences in register and style, helping students to achieve a high level of knowledge.
  • Wikis improve reading, writing skills and reflective thought.

I think I could find other reasons to justify wikis’ use…
However, now I have thought too much and the results I could obtain wouldn’t be so spontaneous and truthful.
So, for this time, you have to be content with these remarks.

See you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Francesca.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home