It's a blog world

Monday, April 30, 2007

Video Skype

Here I am once again!

Last week our Skype exchange was quite “particular” since it was a Skype exchange with video included!

Students from Tulane University many kilometres far from us were able to see us sitting down at the laboratory. And we could see them even if with a lower quality of image and sound. (Our technician is great!)

It was a strange sensation. It had been less private and simple than the previous ones.

I looked forward to see Timothy and Nichole, my exchange partners, but when I had the opportunity of talking with them (especially with Timothy) I said nothing at all!
As often happened to me, I let an opportunity slip and I cut an international poor figure.
Anyway, American students explained us some aspects of the tragedy occurred some weeks ago in Virginia.
Talking with Lara, we found that since we spoke for weeks with Tulane students we were living this event in a different way. The fact that we were becoming more intercultural competent helped us in reducing the distances between them and us, giving us the sensation that such a dramatic situation could happen in Italy as well.

The second part of our exchange focused on questions and opinions.
Talking by Skype you may not pay too attention to the person you are talking to, because you are simply conveying ideas; moreover you select carefully select the words you want to say. You can’t see one’s gestures or facial expressions, you can only guess what one is feeling. On the contrary, in a video exchange the feedback you can retrieve is immediate and you focus more on pronunciation.
However, as I have already said, it was less confidential than usual exchanges, because the camera shown only the person who was making or answering a question to the whole class. For this reason, I felt I was being watched by lots of students who could judge my English level or how I was dressed : ( and, as a consequence, all that was rather discouraging.

Anyway, apart from my silly shyness, this experience was really exciting.
We had the possibility of discussing about violence, an actual problem in both of our countries and making a list of questions in order to integrate our presentations.
Furthermore, we were able to practise our speaking and listening knowledge and to open our mind towards different culture and habits.

It was a fun way of entering a culture without stereotypes.


Francesca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home